Honest Review: Golden Phoenix Hotel
I scored a free hotel stay from rewards earned using my Citibank Cash Back Credit Card. I used the points to book a room at the Golden Phoenix Hotel (GPH).
My expectations were high since we've visited the hotel before (just last year, if I am not mistaken) when relatives stayed there for a halfway hotel for their early flights out of Manila. I remember it was still a new hotel and there were on going construction, but that was fine (understandable).
Golden Phoenix Location is perfect , if you want to save yourself worrying time, whether you'll make it to your flight or not, as it is near the Manila airports.
I reserved a deluxe twin room, thinking
there will be 2 twin beds (as shown in the hotel website),
Deluxe Twin Room from GPH website.
There is obviously no way (a family of 4) would fit in a twin bed,
There was really no other options but to upgrade and pay an additional P1500.
I was really surprised at check-in that we are having just one (1) twin bed. My fault for not checking bed configuration
Our room after the upgrade.
Our room is really small - quite far from the website photos. There was hardly enough room to move (much more take a photo of the entire room).
Even the bathroom is small.
I initially can't find the toiletries.
I found them under the bathroom sink.
The room size was forgivable, however, the linens and towels were not.
They were old and needing replacement.
I didn't like the bathroom and didn't use it much, so I can't comment if its clean.
Pool needed major cleaning too.
The fountain was not working when we got there and a section or two of tiles were broken. Really unattractive.
Definitely, NO swimming for this staycation!
- Check-in was just fine. We were the only ones checking-in at the time so that should be expected.
- Management should do something about the hotel upkeep. It smells like cement in there. The carpet running through the hotel corridors also filthy.
- Not much to do as it is a long walk from SM MOA. In the website it says they offer free shuttle service to nearby attractions. However, we were not informed at check-in and didn't see any during our stay either.
- Staff were quite nice and friendly though, but that's the only good thing I can think of right now.
- Breakfast was fine, nice spread but nothing exceptional.
- We looked for the gym (the website says there is one), but can't find that one too.
Let us just say, I am not thinking of heading back anytime soon.